Many of us are at breaking point this time of the year. To stay resilient, amidst great adversity, is a life-long process of growth and increased self-awareness.
The strategies below assisted me in ‘bending’ – back in 2014 – when I was sure that ‘breaking’ was inevitable:
* unplug daily / digital detoxes
* listen to restorative music
* nourish your sense of touch, smell and taste (be present, and verbalize ‘I am here now’ )
* put on your trainers (NB)
Top-down Cognitive Strategies
* don’t waste your sorrows; decide to change adversity into a blessing
* stop all black and white, as well as ‘awefulizing’ thinking patterns – rather accurately and truthfully label your emotions e.g. frustration, as opposed to the end of the world…
* broomstick balance – shift focus away from yourself and upwards; and see how easy it is to balance a broomstick on your fingertip.